Thursday, November 16, 2006

Food Fair in Stockholm

It is a great luxury to be able to walk around and try exciting wines, ostrich sausages, cheeses from Italy and peppery green olive oils. I have just done that and am now sinking down in the sofa, enjoying and relaxing. I have been visiting the Fair "Det goda köket" in Älvsjö, Stockholm and spent four hours there. Perfectly wonderful!

I brought some fun things home with me I will try out this weekend – quinoa seeds which can be used as couscous. I bought both red and white ones and will report how they taste. When I searched the Internet I found that they a have low GI-index and belong to the health food group. To combine pleasure with profit is not bad at all.

A new packet of Puy-lentils went down in the bag. I got a tip they are good to cook with raisins, prunes and dried apricots. Serve with a piece of meat. Worth trying as I love sweet dried fruits along with meat. I have tried the lentils before together with finely diced celeriac and carrots out of Anna Bergenströms “Nya Annas mat”. See recipe below.

A couple of vanilla sticks, a bottle of glaze and real cinnamon sticks also got some room and smell wonderful. This cinnamon tastes totally different compared to the one I usually buy. This one is soft, easy to break into small pieces in contrast to the one in the larder – which I considered good cinnamon.

The goodies were bought at Werner Gourmet Service. Their things are found at NK if you can’t make it to the fair this weekend.

Lentil casserole with cinnamon from Anna Bergenströms “Annas nya mat”
(4 servings)
1 l boiled green lentils (here I used Puy lentils) (400 g unboiled)
2 medium sized finely chopped yellow onions
3 finely chopped garlic cloves
½ medium sized carrot diced
About 75 g finely diced celeriac
1-3 teaspoon curry
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons wheat flour
5 dl water
1 cube vegetable broth
½ dl chopped parsley

Fry finely chopped onion and garlic but only a little carrot. Maybe also some finely diced celeriac but in that case only little. The onion should dominate. Fry slowly about 15 minutes.
Sprinkle in curry, crushed caraway seeds, a dash of oregano. Stir. Put in very little flour and dilute with water until syrupy. Crumble the vegetable stock cube. Bring to the boil and stir again. Put in the boiled and very well drained lentils. Warm the casserole. Serve with chopped parsley and rice. One can also blend the rice into the lentils mixture to make a rice casserole out of everything.

No comments: