Saturday, November 08, 2008

Tarte Tatin of Apples

In my black oilcloth book, I wrote this of Tarte Tatin and in parentheses I added the "topsy-turvy French apple cake." From whome I got it, I do not know but suspect it may have been written on a package. It is written in the book about 1997 and I know that for next to it is a wonderful potato salad, which I got that year.

I was curious if anyone had recipes of Tarte Tatin with tomatoes and if you make a search there are several hits, among others by Krokofanten with dried tomatoes and tomatoes in different colors. Then I found a French recipe with figs and port wine. Feels a bit expensive when you do not have your own fresh figs, but I will plant a fig-tree sometime in the future and will surely have my own figs. The French blog has wonderful recipes if you can read it.

Tarte tatin
500 g apples
1 1/2 -2 dl sugar
2-3 tbsp butter

Pieshell
2 1/2 dl wheat flour
125 g butter
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp cold water

Make the piedough in food processor, let rest at least 1 hour. PUt 2-3 tbsp water into a round shaped pan about 24 cm in diameter. Sprinkle over 1 dl sugar. The whole bottom will be covered. Melt and let the the sugar turn brown in the oven at 225°C. Allow to cool.
Peel, core and slice apples. Cover the bottom of the mold with the slices. Sprinkle over the rest of the sugar and click on the butter. Roll out the pieshell to about 1/2 cm in thickness and place it on top. Press the edges (like press down on sides). Bake at 250°C for about 30 minutes. Turn up side down. Serve with ice cream or cream.

No comments: